Home Business How To Sue Debt Collectors For FDCPA Violations

How To Sue Debt Collectors For FDCPA Violations

by Edvard Berlusconi

When a bill collector has violated the FDCPA federal laws, there are some steps you can take and these include suing the debt collector, but the steps should depend on your goal and type of violations committed by the individual. Here are the actions to take

File a Complaint at CFPB or Federal Trade Commission


Perhaps the first step you should consider is to report the debt collectors to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. This is the independent government agency that investigates complaints made against the debt collectors. If you can prove the violations committed by the debt collectors, you will be awarded a partial refund of some of the fees collected.

Alternatively, you can report these collectors for FDCPA violations to the Federal Trade Commission. If for instance you were scammed into paying more than you ought to pay, you  can file a complaint at Federal Trade Commission, If you receive telemarketing calls from these collectors even though you are on “Do Not Call Registry”, you have the right to report them to the   FTC

Sue the Debt Collectors in the State Court


A consumer can bring a lawsuit against a collector in the state court. In this case, you have to prove that this collector has violated the FDCPA and if this is successful you may be awarded up to $1000 in statutory damages, and you may be awarded more if you suffered harm from such violations.

If you are looking for how to sue debt collectors for FDCPA violations, in the easiest way, perhaps you should consult an attorney for legal representation because the process of suing the collectors can be lengthy and time-consuming. It is important to get an attorney and submit all necessary evidence to facilitate the court hearing and award of the compensation for any violation. To learn more about these services, visit solosuit.com.

Sue the Debt Collector in Small Claims Court


A small claims court may be a better option if you don’t have the resources to hire an attorney. It is also the ideal option if you don’t want to go through lengthy court procedures. Small claim courts are known to expedite actions on violations from collectors by allowing the individuals to argue their cases without the need for an attorney. The small claims court will give you one hearing opportunity to argue your case before the judge, hence you need to be prepared to submit as much evidence as you can, to prove your case.

To file your case at the small claims court, you will have to file a single court document and hearings are held less than 60 days after you file a lawsuit at the small claims court.


When it comes to reporting these collectors for FDCPA violations, it is important to know that you need to prove you didn’t start a physical altercation with the officers in order to get your claim validated. You must proof beyond every reasonable doubt that you were violated by the debt collectors to get compensations.