Home Home & Garden 7 Warning Signs Your House Has An Electrical Fault

7 Warning Signs Your House Has An Electrical Fault

by Tracy Finke

When it comes to yourself, your family, and your house, electrical safety is paramount. If you haven’t had an electrician come to your home in a while, you should think of it as a preventative measure. You’ll be able to spot problems before they become serious. Wiring deteriorates, and connections loosen over time in older homes.

The system may be strained by new appliances. Electricians should be called to your home regularly for maintenance.

Many advantages can be gained by understanding the warning indications of electrical system failures and preventative maintenance. You’ll save money on your monthly bill, increase the market value of your home, extend the life of your lights and appliances, and keep your family safe. Continue reading to learn about the indications to look out for.

1. Burning Odor

Source: rd.com

A burning odor in the home with no apparent source might be frightening. A very acidic odor emanates from an electrical fire, and a short that causes a fast burn emits the same scent. On the other hand, Electrical fires emit a distinct odor when they catch nearby materials on fire.

If there is a burning odor, especially if it is acrid, call an electrician right away and have a fire extinguisher nearby until an electrician arrives. The short may occur in the outlet, but it is more likely to ignite nearby items if it appears in the wire within the wall. Until the electrician arrives, homeowners should switch off the circuit breaker or remove the fuse for that circuit.

Contact Rg Electric if you detect any problems in your house.

2. Flickering Lights

Source: thespruce.com

This is an all-too-common issue that families may have to deal with for years. Flickering or fading lights can be signs of a far more severe electrical issue, even if they are absolutely harmless and never develop into a more significant problem.

When you turn on or off a specific appliance, your lights may flicker, which could indicate an essential electrical or wiring issue. Check to see if any of the affected bulbs are loose before contacting for help from an emergency electrician. If they’re all safe, hiring a certified electrician to inspect your entire electrical system is good.

3. Electrifying Outlets

Source: bobvila.com

When home appliances are in use, they might get hot to the touch. However, the outlet into which you plug them in should not. Mild shocks from switches and outlets are also common indicators of something wrong with your electrical system.

If only one of the fixtures exhibits abnormal behavior, it may be just a malfunctioning one. However, if you see issues in all of your outlets, you should be concerned. Your home’s wiring system may be broken or obsolete.

Furthermore, the power requirement may be excessive for your system. You risk damaging your home appliances or having several dead sockets if you overlook the problem. To be safe, have your electrician examine your system more closely and recommend viable remedies.

4. Damaged Wiring

Source: powertec.ca

Any apparent wire damage may appear to be self-evident. Many people, however, overlook seemingly minor damage because they believe it will not cause a problem. Even if the wire seems to be in good condition, it is preferable to mend it as soon as possible rather than risk disastrous repercussions. Frayed wire ends are one thing to keep an eye out for.

Bite marks on the wiring are another prevalent issue. Bitten wires often appear in good condition, with only minor cosmetic damage. On the other hand, Sharp teeth can often sink far more profoundly than you might imagine. If you discover a pest problem in your house, thoroughly inspect the adjoining wiring for any damage.

5. Blown Fuses/Breaker

Source: checkatrade.com

If a circuit’s fuse or breaker continues blowing or tripping, it’s a warning that something isn’t right. It could just be an indicator that the circuit is overloaded. Under regular operation, however, adequate wiring should make this relatively impossible.

As a result, it could be a symptom of a wiring issue. Using every plug on a circuit in a well-wired home should only be an issue if you’re using an appliance or other device that requires a lot of power. To meet this requirement, equipment like dryers and air conditioners are usually wired on separate circuits.

6. Melted Wire Covering

Melted wires typically indicate a high level of resistance in the line, which causes heat to build up. Although you won’t be able to see the melting wire, you will be able to smell it burning. When heated to a particular temperature, plastic releases an unpleasant odor. If you see melted wires in your home, turn off the power and contact an electrician. The smell of burning plastic should also prompt you to turn off your breaker and ask for help.

7. Weird Sound Like Sizzling

Source: kateonthinice.com

It’s OK when these sounds come from food. That’s not so wonderful when they’re coming from your home. When you turn on a light or plug in a new gadget, unplug it or turn off the light if you hear these sounds. These noises are most likely caused by elements within your electrical wiring heating up or burning. Immediately seek the advice of an electrician. The entire cable connection may have to be rebuilt.


Although these electrical issues aren’t common, they occur frequently enough to be alarming. If you’re experiencing any of these problems, it’s a sign that your electrical system needs to be checked out. It’s recommended if you don’t try this on your own because the electrical code is rather complex, and you might miss anything.

Engage the services of a qualified, licensed electrician to verify that your home is up to code. Most of these issues may be resolved with a professional examination, and you can be confident that they won’t happen again. It’s a recipe for disaster if you ignore these warning flags. You should pay attention to your house’s warnings about possible fire threats.