Plants And Flowers That Are Poisonous To Our Pets

by Edvard Berlusconi

Although only a small percentage of plants and flowers are truly dangerous to our pets, some of the loveliest household decorations can be harmful and even lethal to dogs or cats. It might be a bit strange since they are carnivores, but our furry companions might continue to eat plants even if it makes them sick. The consequences of such actions can vary, from vomiting, seizures, to liver failure, and in some cases death.

This does not mean you should not keep any flowers or plants in your home or garden, but you should consider keeping them out of your pet’s reach and stay alert whenever they are outside. To help safeguard your canines and felines, here are some of the most common plants that are poisonous to our furry friends.

Azalea

source:homedepot.com

These flowers can have extreme effects on pets such as vomiting, excessive drooling, and diarrhea. Even if just a few leaves are ingested it can lead to serious consequences that can even be lethal without immediate medical attention.

Lilies

Benign lilies like Peace, Peruvian, and Calla lilies might cause minor symptoms such as oral irritation that results in minor drooling. However, dangerous kinds can be fatal, especially to cats, and can lead to severe kidney failure. These include Tiger, Asiatic, Day, and Easter lilies. You can read more here.

Oleander

source:garden.org

This outdoor shrub is a popular household plant but is extremely toxic if ingested and can slow the heart rate, lead to severe vomiting, and in the worst case, it can be fatal.

Autumn Crocus

Although there are two types of Crocus plant, the Autumn Crocus is the highly poisonous one. It can cause respiratory failure, kidney or liver damage, internal bleeding, severe vomiting, and more. Signs of poisoning can be delayed for days, so if you’ve noticed that your pet has ingested this flower, you should take them to the veterinarian immediately.

Daffodils

source:rhs.org.uk

Ingesting the bulb or flower of this plant can lead to many problems such as vomiting, abdominal pain, irregular heartbeat, and respiratory complications. Daffodil ingestion can cause more serious symptoms so taking your pet to the vet as soon as you notice any symptoms is your best solution.

Lily of the Valley

Similar to foxglove, lily of the valley ingestion can cause a variety of problems, from vomiting, diarrhea, to a drop in heart rate, severe heartbeat irregularity, and seizures. Pets that have been exposed to this plant should be examined, evaluated, and treated symptomatically.

Dieffenbachia

source:homedepot.com

This is another plant that is popular and common in many homes and offices, but that can lead to drooling, nausea, swallowing difficulty, and oral irritation if ingested.

Other plants and flowers that can cause oral irritation, vomiting, trembling, seizures, and are extremely harmful include Honeysuckle, Irises, Tulips, Hyacinths, Kalanchoe, and Amaryllis, with the more dangerous ones including Hydrangeas, Cyclamen, Rhododendron, and Castor Bean.

If by any chance your furry friend ingested any of these harmful plants, take them to the veterinarian as soon as you notice something is wrong. Time is valuable and the sooner they receive proper treatment, the higher their chances are of full recovery. Everyone wants their pets to stay healthy, so always be on a lookout whenever they are around flowers or plants. It is the best way to ensure their safety and protect them from any potential harm.

Leave a Comment

Solve : *
32 ⁄ 16 =