By the level of popularity, the language is in the top 10. The reasons are:
- it is considered to be easily accessible for development,
- friendly towards beginners
- widely used in web app programming
Let’s have a look at its main advantages and disadvantages. This article will become a good assistant for professional programmers and newbies to gain a general understanding of JS’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Widespread prevalence. Any browser, any operating system supports this language. There will be no problems with launching, neither on a desktop computer nor on a mobile device. The site developer can design a cross-browser working solution for different types of devices. It is enough to check the functionality of the code in the most popular browsers. Any, even little-known, browsers are developed with the ability to execute JS scripts.
- High level language. This means you do not need to write the commands in machine code, but with the special syntax of the programming language, which will be interpreted into the machine code with the compiler. Additionally, there is already a defined set of functions and frameworks that you can use to speed up writing your code. A high-level language simplifies the programmer’s work, but at the same time, does not narrow the range of its capabilities.
- Fast for the user. JS gains the advantage of speed since the code is not compiled on the client side because the script is executed in the user’s browser. This significantly reduces the load on the server compared to web applications written in other languages.
- The need to use third-party libraries. The language does not work with input and output streams. In these cases, you have to use frameworks and libraries from other developers. And here the programmer is not sure whether there will be conflicts in the system in the future.
- Low security. On the Internet, you can easily find and download the source codes for popular scripts. They are freely available. Therefore, it isn’t easy to guarantee that a JS web application will not be hacked. The problem is also made worse because the script is executed on the user’s side every time the page is loaded, and not on the server, where it would be possible to track the code breakage.
- Unusual object model. For experienced programmers who are used to implementing classes and their inheritance in C #, or Python, JS seems to be a total disaster. The main issue with JS is that the classes can be not assigned to objects but inherited from other objects.
- simplicity of syntax and rationality, intuitive clarity of the code;
- simplicity and availability of tools (minimum: text editor and browser);
- the availability of a large number of materials for study and practice on the Internet.
In 1 year, if you want and try, you really can become an entry-level specialist, and in 2-3 years of training and practice, you can grow to a professional in the field of frontend development.